Saturday, January 10, 2009

Adjusting to a new family

Danielle and I have been in Petro for a couple of days. Our trip here was mostly uneventful until we have to drive from St. Petersburg to Petro. We have our first taste of a Russian Winter. The landscape was beautiful but the roads were very bad. It was so cold that the defrost could not keep up so we have to stop several times to clean the ice. Illya, thanks goodness, have a good handle of the car and he drove as save as it was possible under the conditions. We finally made to Petro in one piece and I have never feel more thankful of seeing the Karelia Hotel. We pick up Kirill the next day. He was already waiting for us and ready to leave the orphanage. Alla talked to me about final arrangemens while Kirill showed Danielle the orphanage. Kirill refused to take pictures of the orphanage (????), finally Danielle was able to snatch a couple of pictures. Danielle and Kirill have become siblings faster than I expected. The act like they live all their lives together. As I predicted, Danielle is the bossy sister and Kirill loves to make her mad. Luckily, most of the time they get along well, sometimes too well if you know what I mean. Trying to keep up with the two of them does not leave a lot of room for writing. The truth is that I am very glad I decided to bring Danielle. They have had an opportunity to get to know each other before facing all the demands of home. Kirill is loving the website Barb recommended to learn English and he has spent most of the time trying to learn while Danielle does homework.
I will leave for now since Nastya will be here soon.

No comments: